Do you have trouble sleeping at night? If so, it may be because of the foods you are eating before bedtime. There are certain foods that can disrupt your sleep cycle and make it difficult to fall asleep or stay asleep. Here, we will discuss the foods you should avoid before bedtime in order to get a good night’s sleep.
- Pizza: The all-too-common pizza dinner is at the top of our list. Its high cheese and tomato sauce content causes your stomach to break it down into fat and acid. Indigestion, an upset stomach, or heartburn are common side effects that will leave you exhausted the next day. Pizza should be eaten 3 hours before night, or during your lunch break if possible, to allow enough time for digestion.
- Coffee: Caffeine, a natural stimulant typically found in hot beverages, may be familiar to you. Most individuals drink coffee in the morning to increase their alertness and energy levels. However, drinking coffee before bedtime is likely to keep you up all night.
- Alcohol: In line with coffee, alcohol is known to keep you from a good night’s sleep. Despite the fact that it can assist some individuals to fall asleep, it frequently interferes with deep sleep since your body takes around an hour to metabolize one serving of alcohol.
- Spicy foods: Spicy meals just before bedtime are also known to cause indigestion and heartburn. Elevated temperatures are also extremely frequent, and they have a detrimental impact on the quality of your sleep.
- Orange juice: For all the obvious reasons, orange juice is one to avoid before bedtime. It is extremely acidic causing heartburn that gets worse when you lie down.
- Soda: Lastly, drinking soda before bed has a high potential of keeping you awake. Mostly because it’s loaded with caffeine and a lot of sugar. The combination of caffeine and sugar stimulates your system leading to poor or lack of sleep.